MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WBTW) – The Myrtle Beach Housing Authority is preparing to open its waiting list for Housing Choice vouchers for the first time in nearly three years.
Carol McCall, the authority’s director of operations, said the office faced significant demand ahead of the pre-applicants open on January 10.
“We constantly get calls and emails and people looking to get on the list,” McCall said.
In 2019, the housing office received 4,000 applications and held a lottery to put 1,000 on a waiting list. This time around 1000 will also be selected at random.
“We expect to get at least as much this time around, if not more,” McCall said.
Housing Choice vouchers are part of a federal program that helps low-income people pay rent in qualifying housing. McCall said his office needed more owner buy-in so voucher holders had more options. She said there is still a stigma among owners regarding voucher holders.
“Maybe they had a bad tenant,” McCall said. “But you can also have a bad tenant in the market.”
“It’s the only guaranteed rent in town,” she added.
McCall is hoping Myrtle Beach can get additional coupons. She said the area needed more affordable housing, especially amid the current surge in rental demand along the Grand Strand.
“It’s really nice when you’re driving down the road and you see a resort going up, but most of them aren’t affordable and aren’t available to voucher holders,” McCall said. “There just aren’t enough units.
Here is more information from the Myrtle Beach Housing Authority on when pre-applications open in January.
Myrtle Beach Housing Authority announces that pre-applications for a lottery for the housing choice voucher program will open soon.
Pre-registrations for the lottery will be accepted from 8 a.m. January 10 and the lottery will end at 5 p.m. January 11. www.mbhaonline.org
Once the lottery period is over, the Housing Authority will randomly select 1,000 applications for the voucher waiting list.
Here are a few takeaways:
- It will be a simple pre-application
- It doesn’t matter when you apply for the lottery – the computer will randomly select 1000 applicants from the lottery pool.
- Participants in the HCV program must be citizens or have eligible immigrant status of the United States.
- You must be 18 or over to apply.
- Only one pre-application will be accepted per person.
- No income verification or other document is required to apply. This will be collected at the time of eligibility.
- No paper or fax pre-applications will be accepted.
- You don’t need to apply to the MBHA – use any computer, smartphone or tablet with internet connection during the lottery period to apply!
- Residency in Horry County is not required to apply. (Vouchers can only be used in the MBHA / Eastern Horry County, SC service area.)
- There is no fee to apply – Don’t be scammed by people who say you can apply for a fee!
- Once you have submitted a pre-application for the lottery, you will immediately receive confirmation that your pre-application has been accepted.
- If you are selected to be on the 1,000 candidate list, you will be notified by email or letter from the Myrtle Beach Housing Authority. If a person / family is not chosen from the lottery selection, no notice will be sent.